Application Master of Science Business Information Systems
Aktueller Hinweis aufgrund des Coronavirus
- Aufgrund der derzeitigen Situation wird auf die Einreichung der Unterlagen in beglaubigter Form verzichtet.
- Zudem wird auf die Zusendung der gesamten postalischen Unterlagen verzichtet – somit reicht das Absenden des Online-Formulars für eine Bewerbung aus.
- Der Bewerbungszeitraum wird verlängert: 01. Juni – 20. August 2020. Somit gilt wie bisher auch, dass nur Unterlagen berücksichtigt werden, die bis zum Ende der Bewerbungsfrist vorliegen (bei Nachreichungen innerhalb der Frist senden Sie diese bitte an firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Wir bemühen uns, dass frühzeitige und vollständige Bewerbungen bereits vor Ablauf der Frist eine Rückmeldung bezüglich einer Zusage/Absage erhalten.
In order to apply for a place in our Master's programme, some requirements and certain formalities must be satisfied when applying. Depending on the semester, these must be submitted to us online and in written form by 15 January or 15 July. We will examine your application in detail so that we can get the best possible idea whether you are suited for our Master's programme. Applicants whose documents do not permit a clear decision will be interviewed in person. This gives you the opportunity to convince the Admissions Committee through a presentation and a subsequent discussion that they are suitable for the Master's programme in Business Information Systems. You will be informed of the outcome of the application process both by post and by e-mail.
Required prior degree
To apply for the Master of Science in Business Information Systems at the University of Duisburg-Essen, you need a degree:
- in a Bachelor's programme Business Information Systems (B.Sc.),
- in an equivalent or comparable course of studies in the field of Economics with a relevant specialisation in Computer Science or Business Information Systems or
- in an equivalent or comparable course of study in the field of Computer Science with a relevant specialisation in Business Administration.
For your Bachelor's degree, a grade of at least 3.0 or better is required.
For preliminary admission to the Master's programme, a certificate of 150 ECTS in one of the Bachelor's programmes described above may be sufficient for application (see below). This applies if you want to apply to our programme while you are still finishing your Bachelor's degree.
Confirmation of passing the previous degree programme
Prospective students whose Bachelor's degree has not yet been completed can also apply if they have already achieved 150 ECTS credits. In this case, however, confirmation of the average grade achieved so far by the Examination Office is necessary.
Applicants need confirmation that they have successfully completed the previous degree programme by the time of enrolment at the latest. In these cases, the certificate must be submitted by the end of the semester at the latest. Depending on your place of study, please note one of the following points:
- Applicants who complete their Bachelor's degree at the University of Duisburg-Essen apply for confirmation from the Examination Office that they have successfully completed the previous course. This certificate is only issued if the thesis has already been submitted and both experts have assessed the work in advance with at least a 4.0. Since the "preliminary evaluations" of the Bachelor's thesis are only carried out by the examiners at the special request of the Examination Office, a corresponding confirmation can subsequently only be made from there.
- Applicants who have obtained their Bachelor's degree at another university should submit a confirmation of successful completion of the previous course of study from the responsible office (examination board or faculty of your previous university) in addition to the documents required for enrolment.
Proofs of language proficiency
A further admission requirement is proof of sufficient knowledge of the English language at at least level B2 of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR). The proof must not be older than three years and can be obtained by
- mother tongue
- IELTS: At least an overall rating of 5.5 (Reading and Writing must have at least a rating of 5.5)
- Cambridge Certificates ESOL: At least a total score of 160
- English certificate of a university that explicitly states B2 (are checked individually - not all are accepted!)
- Bachelor's degree, if this was completed completely in English
For students without a German university entrance qualification: Proof of successfully completed DSH-2 language examination.
Proof of English and/or German must be provided when submitting the application documents.
The application consists of both an online form and documents that you send in writing and by post to the following address:
Fakultät für Wirtschaftswissenschaften
Frau Sarah Seufert
- Desired start of study: Winter semester:
- Application start: June 1st
- Application deadline: July 15th
- Desired start of study: Summer semester:
- Application start: December 1st (of the previous year)
- Application deadline: January 15th
Only application documents that have been received in full and on time can be processed. The inbox stamp counts. Please also schedule the delivery times for letters.
Application with a German degree OR EU/EEA nationality: If you have acquired your university entrance qualification (e.g. Abitur) OR your first university degree qualifying for a profession (e.g. Bachelor) at a German educational institution, then your application will be made using this form (open from 01.06. or 01.12. respectively). The same applies to applicants who are nationals of a Member State of the European Union or the EEA.
Application with a foreign degree AND nationality outside the EU/EEA: If you have acquired a university entrance qualification or a first university degree qualifying for a profession outside Germany AND do NOT belong to a member state of the European Union or the EEA, then your application will be made via the International Office.Online application form
Documents to be submitted with the application
When applying via the online form, please submit the following documents as PDF or JPEG files:
- Letter of motivation in which you explain why you are interested in a Master's degree in Business Information Systems at the University of Duisburg-Essen (please limit yourself to one DIN A4 page)
- List of your professional career (without photo, in PDF format)
- Certified copy of your first degree or current academic record (certified or verifiable with transaction number)
- School report for your university entrance qualification
- Proof of English language skills (where necessary)
- First degree study module manual (in German or English)
- Proof of semester abroad (where necessary)
- For students WITHOUT German language university entrance qualification: Proof of successfully completed DSH-2 language examination. Further information can be found on the website of the International Office.
Once you have submitted your application using the online form, please submit the following documents by post:
- Signed e-mail (or printout of the reply page after filling in the form with signature)
- Letter of motivation
- Curriculum vitae in tabular form
- Certified copy of your first degree or current record of achievement
Assessment and interviews
We will check whether your knowledge is sufficient for a Master's degree in Business Information Systems. The following criteria have a significant influence here:
- Grade of Bachelor's degree
- Content on Business Information Systems topics in the Bachelor's programme (including previous knowledge in modelling, programming, database management, IT management)
- Practical experience
- Semesters abroad
- Duration of study
The qualification for the Master's programme in Business Information Systems at the University of Duisburg-Essen is determined with the help of a points system. The weighting can be found in the catalogue of criteria for determining admission to the Master's programme in Business Information Systems. You will find the catalogue of criteria at the end (Annex 1) of the admission regulations.
As part of the application process, you may be invited to give a presentation followed by a selection interview in Essen. This takes place in the period July - September (application for winter semester) and February - March (application for summer semester) in front of the examination board. The possible invitation to a meeting will be sent exclusively by e-mail. Therefore, please enter an e-mail address which you check daily. The costs for your participation in the selection interview (e.g. travel costs) are to payed by you.
You will be informed of the outcome of the application process both by post and by e-mail.