Mohamed Kari, M.Sc.
- R09 R03 H21
- +49 201 18-36964
- mohamed.kari (at) icb.uni-due.de
- Consultation Hour:
- jederzeit nach Vereinbarung
- Universitätsstr. 9
As part of my doctoral studies, I am a machine learning researcher at Prof. Schütte's research group since March 2020. I'm also working as a machine learning researcher at Porsche AG, Stuttgart, in the Emerging Technologies team.
My main research activities revolve around Machine Learning for Enhancing In-Vehicle Experience. These activities are driven by the objective of delivering excellent research in well-known research publications.
Technologically, I focus on Learning-based Computer Vision for Mixed Reality applications.
Furthermore, I am co-leading (together with my colleage Felix Weber) the chair's research and development project concerning Digital Technologies for Enhancing Automated Decision Making in Retailing Business.
Amonst my fields of broader interest are
- Data Engineering at Web Scale, in particular for Timeseries Data
- Scalable (Cloud) Application Architectures for Data-Intensive Apps
- App Design, esp. User Experience in Data-Intensive Apps
Students interested in any of these topics: Feel free to contact me! I happy to develop a topic together with you for your student project (Bachelor-/Masterprojekt) or student paper (Bachelor-/Masterarbeit) that fits your interests and expectations.
I am currently only accepting student projects and student papers with a strong technical or formal emphasis. Please check my collegues' profiles, should you prefer a topic that doesn't involve git or latex.
Students interested in working
- on progressive web-app development for single-page applications (e. g. React or vue.js)
- on mobile app development (e. g. ReactNative or Flutter, iOS-native, Android-native)
- on service backend design and implementation (e. g. GraphQL, RESTful API, OpenAPI; e.g. Spring Boot, Flask; Docker)
- in a machine learning framework (e. g. scikit-learn or TensorFlow, PyTorch, MXNet)
are encouraged to contact me as we are currently ramping up staff for the above-mentioned R&D project. Involvement as part of projects, papers and assistantships (also Studentische oder Wissenschaftliche Hilfskraft (SHK/WHK)) is possible. I believe that "Passion > Experience" holds. Given you like code, you're highly welcome to reach out even without previous experience in the matter you're interested in.
Please refer to my LinkedIn profile.
- IT Architectures as part of the Digital Business Innovation and Transformation (M.Sc.)
Bachelor and Master Theses:
To ensure best possible thesis supervision, I only accept topics in the area of my research as described above. The process for successfully writing a thesis with is as follows:
- Please write an email to mohamed.kari - at - icb.uni-due.de and ask for free supervision capacities. For bachelor theses, please write this email four months before the desired submission date. For master theses, please write this email seven months before the desired submission date. I can neither reserve capacities, nor agree on a topic with more than the indicated lead time.
- Given I can offer you my supervision, I will schedule a virtual ideation session for specifying a thesis topic and research contribution.
- Given that you are interested in working on the specified thesis topic, please fill out this form (https://www.wiwi.uni-due.de/fileadmin/fileupload/WIWI/Studium-und-Lehre/PA-Dokumente/Antrag-BachelorMaster-Arbeit.pdf with Erstgutachter Prof. Dr. Reinhard Schütte) and send it to sekretariat.iis - at - icb.uni-due.de with CC: mohamed.kari - at - icb.uni-due.de. I will then add you to my Slack workspace for further communication.
- At the same time, please create an Overleaf (overleaf.com) account and project, and import the great udesoftec template, provided online by the SOFTEC Chair (https://www.ctan.org/pkg/udesoftec). If your thesis comprises a software prototype, please create an additional GitHub repository and setup the code project's scaffolding.
- The administration will send you a due date for your thesis. Once you received your due date, please contact me through Slack.
Requirements for any thesis or paper supervised by me
A thesis, project, or seminar is a graded research endeavor. Therefore, I impose the following constraints for supervised papers:
- The thesis must be written in English.
- The thesis must be formatted with Latex (see section "Bachelor and Master Theses", step 4)
- The first section must comprise a description of a relevant problem and show that this relevant problem represents a research gap. The problem must additionally be formulated as a question. The first section must also feature a description of the research contributions proposed.
- The thesis must contain an explicit "Related Work" section, typically as section no. 2.
- The thesis must contain original thoughts. Reading a set of books and repeating their averaged contents is neither original nor does it represent a scientific contribution.
- The thesis must present a well-reasoned argumentation. This means, there must be a clearly defined problem in the beginning, typically formulated as a question. This question must be answered in the final conclusive section. The content outline must be reasonable. Please refer to pages 10/11 in this guide (https://www.pim.wiwi.uni-due.de/fileadmin/fileupload/BWL-PIM/Studium/Wissenschaftliches_Arbeiten/Wissenschaftliches_Arbeiten_v39.pdf) for information on how to design a reasonable structure.
- Research is only relevant if it is visible. All of my students are asked to produce a video of length of 4 to 7 minutes, showing their main reasoning and core contribution. The video can be produced in the two weeks after the thesis has been submitted to the faculty.
- Conception and Design of an Intra-Company Networking Platfrom (Bachelor Thesis Business Information Systems, 2022)
- Real-Time Queries on Time SeriesStreams for On-Shelf-AvailabilityPrediction (Bachelor Thesis Business Information Systems)
- Conception and Design of an Intra-Company Networking Platfrom (Bachelor Thesis Business Information Systems)
- Automated UI Testing (Bachelor Thesis Computer Science)